- The seals are facing in the same direction with a low pressure
barrier fluid circulating between them.
- Total discharge head. A combination of the suction head and
the head being produced by the pump.
- A way to write 0.01 inches.
- The strength measured when the part is being pulled
- A measure of the material's ability to conduct heat. This is a
very important factor in the selection of mechanical seal
- A troubleshooting piece of equipment that will let you see hot
spots in the equipment.
- A plastic material that can be softened or melted repeatedly
without change of properties. Injection molded parts are
manufactured with Thermo-plastic materials.
- A plastic material that can be softened and molded but cannot
be re-used or reverted to its original state.
- The viscosity of the fluid decreases with agitation. Non drip
paint is an example of such a fluid.
- Locates the rotor or shaft axially. Normally located clse to
- One millimeter of mercury. Used in both the imperial and
metric systems a a unit of measurement in vacuum service.
- The amount of head produced by the pump. Discharge head minus
suction head. If suction head is a negative number it is added to
the discharge head.
- In a centrifugal pump it refers to the axial movement of the
shaft. The thrust can be towards the wet or power end of the pump
and at start up it thrusts in both directions.
- Designed to take the axial thrust in pump applications. It is
usually located next to the coupling and is often supplied in a
"double row" configuration.
- Attached to the pump and used to send a vibration signal to a
meter where it can be read.
- A common hard face seal material available in several grades
depending upon hardness and corrosion resistance. Cobalt and
nickel are the two most common types.
- Disturbed fluid. Can cause cavitation problems in a
centrifugal pump. Often caused by an elbow located too close to
the pump suction inlet.
Two way balance
- A method of balancing a mechanical seal in two directions. A
very important consideration in dual seal applications.
For information about my CD,
with over 600 Seal & Pump Subjects
Link to Mc Nally home page